Dressing up in costume is a fun way to let your personal style run wild. Halloween is the peak season for costume shopping and just because you wear a plus size doesn’t mean you’re limited in your costumes choices. Today savvy clothing and specialty stores have begun paying attention to the needs of plus size women and this extends to offering plus size Halloween costumes.
When shopping for a plus size costume, give yourself adequate time to choose a costume and outfitting it with the necessary accessories. You can give yourself a head start by following the suggestions below:
• What’s your theme? — Unless the party you’re invited to is based around a theme, you’re free to choose whatever theme suits your mood. Do you want funny, scary, historical, or sexy? There are even plus size couples costumes available.
If you can’t decide, then just browse through the many clever plus size adult costumes available on-line. If you already have an idea for a costume, then you’re more than likely to find it with a little searching.
• Available sizes — plus size costumes are available in most of the women’s plus sizes. Some costume styles top out at a size 18 while others are only available in sizes 18-24. However, many are available from 1X to 4X, which should accommodate many plus size shoppers.
• Don’t forget the accessories — a pirate needs a sword and a witch needs a broom, but don’t assume these essential accessories are included in the base price of a costume. So be sure to see which items are included and which are sold separately. Some items like sunglasses will need to be purchased elsewhere.
• Remember the practical side — evenings in late October, when most Halloween parties are held, can be somewhat cold in northern climates. So be sure your outerwear will fit comfortably over your costume.
A beer keg or whoopee cushion costume will require a more creative approach to keeping warm. A better idea is to make arrangements with the host/hostess to let you change into your costume after you arrive at the party.
If you’re going with a sexier look that exposes a lot of skin, then a pair of stockings may be an additional accessory you’d like to consider.
• Safety First – the goal of any party is to have fun, but please take the time to prevent carelessness from ruining your fun. Avoid costumes made from highly flammable material such as paper and don’t add anything such as cotton balls to your costume. All it takes is to wave this material near a candle to set off a tragic accident. And it goes without saying, never drink and drive!
Preparing for a Halloween or themed costume party takes a little extra effort and planning, but if you approach it with creativity and the right spirit, you’ll guarantee yourself a wonderful time!